Tuesday, October 2, 2012

12 Weeks - Corrections

I am so pleased with my adults this week.  They started issuing very appropriate and well deserved corrections to Maddie... although Riley allowed her to do what she was doing in the picture above. Surely that will be a different story in another month or two.  I just wish Maddie was more confident and sassy... NOT!
On walks, Maddie is really bad about dive bombing Riley and Seven and tugging on their leashes.  I tried to keep them separated to spare the adults her assault, but Maddie really needs to be corrected by her victims and so I have stopped trying to help them and turn a blind eye.  Seven gave her two really nice corrections for a dive bomb and an ear nip.  Her corrections were sharp, but gentle.  Maddie flew back, but didn't yelp.  Perfect!

Poor Allie is 12 and just lays on her bed most of the time.  Maddie will try to persuade Allie to play with her.  I mean who wouldn't want to play with a puppy barking in your face.... definitely not Allie.  She gives big corrections with teeth and noise, but no marks.  Good girl, Allie.
And then Riley is just so funny.  She is extremely tolerant and ignores Maddie most of the time... but Riley loves Maddie's toys. I love to watch their interactions.
Before I forget, Maddie ended week 12 at 22.5 pounds.  She has gained 9 pounds since I brought her home at 9 weeks.  She is getting big!

12 comments:

gyeong said...

Now that she's the size of a whippet, the adults probably don't think her antics are so cute :)

Team Zero Gravity said...

I'm so glad things are going well and Maddie is getting the appropriate corrections she needs to end up as a happy, well balanced dog :)

Greyhounds Aren't Grey said...

Oh my goodness. She is SO cute. But that personality reminds me of a particular black fussypants that I know.

GreyhoundGeek said...

My gosh Riley is patient... They are pretty adorable together.

I'm curious how long it took for your dogs to be comfortable sleeping together?

Data is getting better, but is still a little intolerant of things touching her while she sleeps.

Catalina said...

She's getting so big! I'm still waiting for Tibby to correct Dhali - he likes to tug on her harness and carry her leash. Usually he only does it when he's getting tired, but sometimes he just does it for fun! When she does correct him he seems to think she's joking - "You can really mean that, I'm so cute!"
But a couple times she has REALLY corrected him and he respected it, rolled over and then tried to lick her face. It's fascinating to watch them interact. Tibby is really, really patient and they play loud and noisy bitey face for hours without any blood or bites.
I love watching them communicate with each other.
LOL! It's my first time with 2 dogs, so it's all new for me :)

Those Brindle Kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Those Brindle Kids said...

Trying again to spell: Aww, Riley wanted that toy so bad - and she got it!

houndstooth said...

Riley looks like she took on the role Morgan took when Kuster came here -- puppy nanny. She was so good with him, and I honestly don't know how we all would have survived without her then. Good on you for letting the adults correct her, too. My husband drives me nuts with Kuster, always intervening so the Greyhounds won't tell him off. The truth is, he needs it. Bunny has and does tell him exactly how she feels, but Blueberry won't. It's not like he's lacking in confidence or anything...

That video cracked me up!

Cat said...

We always called it "puppy license". Good adults would take anything off puppies until that license expired, then it was time for boundaries. Sounds like Maddie's is beginning to expire... most of mine happened closer to 6 months of age, adult rules applied to babies and that was that.

PS - hoping for good news today!

What Remains Now said...

Riley is so patient. That was very nice play.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

GreyhoundGeek, they either do or they don't sleep together I find. Reagan is a terrible bed buddy. Lots of growling. But everyone else seems to catch on to sharing beds. We have a couple of mattresses around the house so they get used to sharing that.

Hiking Hounds said...

It looks and sounds like they are doing a great job with Maddie. It was so nice to have Zephyr when Astro was a babe. He taught him so much and they've always played really well together. Both Zephyr and Astro have met and played with puppies in the last month and are now asking when we're getting another. I told them not soon, but it sure was hard. ;-)