Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 2 and 3

Last Saturday was day 2 of Seven's second agility trial and her debut at the Open level.  She is still having some difficulty in discriminating between the teeter and dogwalk.  We had a bobble at the teeter and I had a brief moment of forgetting what I was going to do.  Then we had a refusal in Jumpers.  How about those big dog weave poles!
On Sunday, the teeter and dogwalk issue continued, but so far she has not scared herself... knock on wood.  I do not say much when I run, but I do warn with a verbal "teeter".  I love the weave pole entrance in the Jumpers course (2nd run on video).  It was a fast, long line of jumps and then a 90 degree turn to the weave poles.  I told her "weave" early and she collected herself right up for the turn and nailed the entrance that a lot of other baby dogs blew past.
We are looking forward to our next trial in a couple of weeks.  Seven will have 2 attempts to finish both Open level classes.  If she does, she will move up to Excellent and make my life much easier when Riley is competing in the trial after that.

12 comments:

Witty Angel said...

That drop on the teeter was scary! One too many falls on the A-frame and teeter made my last greyhound terrified of agility. I hope you and Seven work it out so she can fly through confidently.

angelofthemind said...

I can imagine that the teeter would be scary, heck I'd be nervous about running on that thing!

Go Seven, Greyhounds are just gorgeous in motion! Can't wait to hear how your next runs go!

gyeong said...

Good luck at the next Trial. We're all rooting for you to make Excellent.

Heather (jerZgirl) said...

You and Seven are smoking! :)

Claire Krigbaum said...

I love how much she loves it all.
Rye still thinks it's the dog walk about half the time if I don't slow him down somehow, even then he crashes the teeter a lot.
Yes, that weave entrance was amazing! How exciting!

jet said...

I hope Seven's apparent confidence will help get her through til you guys sort that one out. She sounds like she is coming along really well though! She is a great credit to you and your handling and training ability.

Declan said...

Mum says do you run a boot camp she can send me to! Deccy x

Andreja said...

This was lovely, especially the 90 degree turn to weaves. Wooohooo!
She looks very relaxed in her crate on the photo. Does she now wait quietly while you're gone?

andrea said...

WTG!!!
:)

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Didn't Seven do well in the first video not getting distracted with all that cheering!!

I'm sure you'll both have everything sussed by the time she has her next trial. Good luck:)

Hiking Hounds said...

She's doing great! The weave entrance was awesome. I don't post about it, but I'm still training Astro, and even Zephyr a little. Astro's learned the weaves in the past few months, and even Zephyr learned them just not as fast. I was so excited. :-) Astro's not 100% with entrances, etc. but we're working on it. He still has some the teeter bobbles and occasionally the teeter/dogwalk problem. And, I have major handling problems. :-) Hopefully we'll get there someday.

KF-in-Georgia said...

I wish they'd change the contacts on the teeter to something besides plain yellow. Maybe add diagonal stripes in black tape? They need something to warn dogs that the bottom is about to drop out of their world.