Thursday, November 10, 2011

Let Loose

Riley has been working hard for the last four weeks on regaining her fitness and flexibility.  She was laid up for a total of eleven weeks for the hock fracture and surgery.  I am really pleased that she has bounced back like I was hoping she would.

Along with the rehab exercises I showed you in an earlier post, we have been hiking several times a week for 60 - 90 minutes with lots of hills to climb.  She has been jogging up to two miles.  And we have even started back on some of the agility equipment and low jumps.

The one thing I have not allowed her to do is run freely, play, and spin like a crazy greyhound.  I have tried to minimize the bursts of speed and sharp turns.  Well, I figured it was finally time for her to be reunited with her Zanie Flyer and allowed to do what she does. I thought indoors on rubber mats would be the best way to start back.
I was very happy that Riley was not the least bit sore afterwards.

20 comments:

Karen said...

Could Riley look like she is having any more fun? I was grinning the whole time I was watching that video- not many things are more smile-inducing than a happy, playing dog. Congrats on all the progress, she looks great!

Declan said...

I reckon she thinks her flyer may be a bunny wabbit! Deccy x

EVAinDC said...

She is one HAPPY girl !! Congrats on getting through the long recovery and careful rehab. You both have done a stellar job!

Two Greyhound Town said...

She looks great!!!! I'm sure she is happy to be on the move again!

Nibs said...

So happy for you and Riley, she looks like she's having SO much fun! I love the tappity-tappity noise of her paws on the floor, makes me want to run as well!

IHeartDogs said...

What a cutie pie! We're happy to see her back to her usual active self!

Ximena said...

She really loves that toy, huh!? Cutest thing I've seen in weeks.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Now that is sheer happiness! Lovely to see.

houndstooth said...

I forgot what a crazy puppy she can be! lol It's good to see her really having fun out there. I don't think you have much to worry about!

Tucker The Crestie said...

She's looking good! :)

andrea said...

awesome - I love the matching flyer and collar - and her trying tosweet talk you into just one throw :)

Hiking Hounds said...

That was so fun to watch, had me smiling and laughing. I'm glad she is doing so well. :-)

Kristin G. said...

This is great, and she looks SO happy!!! I hope things continue to progress, and soon you can throw her flyer.

jet said...

that is so adorable!!! finally she is free to be a crazy greyhound for a bit... bet you can't wait to get her back into the agility ring!

gyeong said...

Great to see she is back to her old self. She was more active when she was 'laid up' than my kids are on a normal day :)

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

She is so cute tearing around and throwing that toy to herself! Glad she's feeling better!

Granted Wishes Canines said...

So happy to see Riley getting back on track to her usual, awesome, happy-go-lucky self. :) The end to rehab is near, I'd say!

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

I also just noticed in rewatching this video how white Riley's face has gone! She looks so distinguished... you know, when she's not gallivanting like an adorable fool!

KF-in-Georgia said...

Sorry I'm just getting caught up on posts, but Riley looks terrific. It's so good to see her playing.

And I swear she was saying, "Don't you want to throw it, Mom? You're missing all the fun!"

Claire Krigbaum said...

When her cheeks puff out with the flyer in her mouth, adorable! Thank you for the advice to fix the comment section of my blog.