Monday, April 25, 2011

ORKC Agility Trial

A couple of weekends ago, Riley and I traveled to a 3-day agility trial in Harriman, Tennessee.  We were three for three in Excellent B Jumpers with three first places.  And in her first and third Jumpers runs, she ran them in 5.9 yards per second.  My greyhounds have occasionally run a course in 6 yards per second... Riley having the fastest at 6.14 yards per second once.  So I was excited to see her so close to 6 yards per second in two runs.
However, we were zero for three in the Standard class (climbing obstacles).  Riley was especially naughty in this class by not holding any of her contacts until I released her and blowing past her weave poles.  It is the only time I have ever not rewarded Riley for an agility run.
Later that evening, there was a practice agility course and an excellent opportunity to remind Riley that she is suppose to hold her contacts until she is released.  It paid off.  We were very close to qualifying on this course, but I almost ran into a jump, got in Riley's way, and it caused her to drop a bar.  She was great though.
Lastly, there is going to be a new type of agility class offered at American Kennel Club trials beginning in July (I think). It is called Time To Beat. The courses are suppose to be smooth and fast (greyhound friendly in other words). They had a practice Time To Beat course one evening and Riley won. The prize was a free entry to the next trial. Not a bad deal!

11 comments:

jcp said...

Riley you look great! I love watching your dogs run. Now that I have two here, I have even more respect for your training efforts. I find it much more challenging to train them because you have to take the time to separate them to do it :).

Muttsandaklutz said...

Nice runs! Riley always looks to me like she's going at 10 yps -- such a fast and exciting do to watch.

Sandy ~~~ said...

Fantastic you two! She loves what she does!

Maria Peters said...

Your arms look good, Jennifer!

houndstooth said...

I always love Riley's enthusiasm! She makes me smile every time I watch her.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone!

Maria, you don't think I need that punk from LA Fitness to help me tone up my triceps? LOL :-)

gyeong said...

Love that first pic. Might have to attend an agility trial to practice my actions shots.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Darn, the videos won't load for me tonight. Hopefully I can watch them in the morning. I want to see Riley being naughty;) Even the top photo makes me smile. She's going so well, I could watch you both all day!

abravesfan63 said...

That top picture tickles me. She looks so happy and like she is floating on air.

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Riley looks amazing, even when she's being naughty! That new class looks like fun. I will have to ask my agility instructor about it but I think there are a lot of differences between American and Canadian agility. Apparently here the dogs still have to do a sit or down on the table. :(

Heather said...

Don't mess with a greyhound when it comes to time!