Friday, September 10, 2010

Rule Change

Sighthound agility handlers everywhere are rejoicing at the American Kennel Club's agility rule change: No more required position on the table. In the past, the judge would specify at the beginning of the class whether your dog was to down or sit on the table for 5 seconds.
I know several greyhounds that would have progressed much further in agility if they had not been required to place hocks and elbows on such a hard, rough surface.
Luckily, I have not ever had any major problems on the table with any of my greyhounds. I have always been careful to never practice sits and downs on the table too much. Never more than once in a training session and it called for a jackpot. In practice, I often would let them just stand on the table. Now they can stand on the table in competition. Happy greyhounds and whippets everywhere!

14 comments:

jet said...

that is awesome!

gyeong said...

Great news for all tight-hipped, thin-skinned, bony-elbowed dogs doing agility!

Tarmar said...

Equal opportunity for bony dogs everywhere! It's about time!

Aragon greyhounds said...

Yes Whisper was happy last weekend to not have to sit or down. The more she competes the less she was liking the table.

Hopefully she will learn quickly that she just now has to jump and stand on it.

Sue said...

That's great news.

Sandy ~~~ said...

Oh thank goodness....the sit is a stickler for us so far and he will do it kinda on the nice soft carpet in the living room. Downs are consistent.

Now, we can get started this winter with really thinking agility is in our future.

Thanks for telling me about this...I wasn't even going to try agility until we got the sit..now I am sure there are some things we can work on. Now, to find an agility instructor who understands greyhounds.

jcp said...

So we wont get to watch the hound-hover position anymore? But sitting is really the only trick Kassa can do!! :). Ah well, I'm glad more boney butts will get to unleash their speed on the course.

whygreyhounds said...

Great news! Good to see they are accommodating sight hounds special requirements.

houndstooth said...

That is so cool! I hadn't heard that. Thanks for sharing the news!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I don't know what the rules are in New Zealand, but this certainly is a big improvement for you guys:-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Ha! You guys are so funny! I'm sure Teresa, Katie, and Travis would have really appreciated. Katie and Travis must have done hundreds of tables. Riley is getting spoiled.

JCP, Kassa can still do a sit at the start line if you want to do a lead out. :-)

Sam said...

I think that I'm going to keep my auto-down criteria for now with Marge, but I can definitely see how this rule change will help a lot of people. It will also make trials move a lot more quickly!

Michelle said...

good news! :)

greytblackdog said...

Whoo Hoo. Roxy hates practicing the table. mostly b/c she thinks she will fall off if she has to down/sit on a hard surface :)