Monday, August 9, 2010

Sprayer

I love how easy it is to wet down a greyhound or similar coated breed on a hot day. As a bonus, they dry quickly. I find that a half gallon pump sprayer found in the garden section of a Home Depot or Wal-Mart is a great way to cool your dogs in a pinch. By pumping the sprayer at the top, you can create a continuous spray with one hand for a short period of time. Use your other hand to rub the water down to the skin so heat is dissipated as the water evaporates. If you allow the water to pool on top of the fur, you could trap heat below. Also, focus on areas thinly covered by hair such as the belly and inner thighs. You can fill the sprayer with ice water or keep it in your refrigerator or cooler to maximize its cooling capabilities. I am never without my sprayer on a warm day with the dogs.

13 comments:

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Great tip. I'm looking forward to summer to try this out ... but that's not the only reason I'm looking forward to summer!!!

Malika said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for passing that on!

Todd said...

We do not go to hot events without our garden sprayer. One thing that I've learned from vets and others in the know is to not cool the vital organs down too quickly or you could induce shock. I start spraying the feet, work my way up the legs to the inner thighs and butt muscles and eventually end up spraying the back, belly and chest.

gyeong said...

Great idea. Might even use it on myself.

Jazz & Rocky said...

What a good idea! Mom always sprays me with the hose to cool me off but the sprayer sounds much nicer!
Greyhound Kisses, Jazz

whygreyhounds said...

Greta idea! We are heading into summer soon so something that will come in handy, especially when we are 'out & about' & don't have access to hoses etc..

Thanks for posting a Great tip! :-)

houndstooth said...

I have a feeling that my dogs would think I'd developed some sort of medieval torture device if I cracked that out, but somehow, I feel compelled to try it!

Muttsandaklutz said...

Oh cool, great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Life With Dogs said...

Never thought of this before. Luckily we don't see much of your summer weather or I'd be shopping for one...

Sandy ~~~ said...

And...all the better if the sprayer strays a bit and gets you cooled down too!

Sue said...

Just found your lovely blog. I look forward to catching up with you and your lovely dogs.

Sue said...

Thanks for popping onto my blog and leaving your message. Are you Jensjkt?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Sue, yes, I am jensjkt.