Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Front Left

Here is a video clip of Reagan working on fronts. I am making her commit to a position by sitting. She still seems to be stuck on moving her rear end and correcting her position too much. When she does finally stand or sit straight in front of me, I click and treat several times in an attempt to convince her that its the position I want and not really the movement. She is so much fun to work with. Reagan is such a good little worker.

Next, Reagan is working on left turns in heeling. Kathryn (trainer) has me working on left turns slowly and exaggerated so Reagan is encouraged to move her rear end to stay in line.

My goal is to have Reagan ready to compete in Novice obedience at the Hound obedience trial September 18th. The trial is limited to dog breeds in the hound group so it should be a small, quiet trial to start at.

5 comments:

IHateToast said...

i've gone over my download limit with my subscription here and can't see these. could, but it'd take 30-60 min to download. but i'm missing it. the next billing cycle i'll be able to see. i 'll also know not to get too greedy with the french video podcasts. who knew?

anyway, good luck. i'm sorry i can't see you animated.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Toast, I'm glad you didn't waste your download cause I had the same video up twice. That happens to me a lot! Its fixed now.

Jen

Kathie R said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for posting the videos. It is helpful to see how you work your dog. I'm really trying to focus more the basics - attention and heeling - with my Dane, and just started using the clicker. Even though he's five years old and training at the utility level, I think we've missed getting the basics down solid. What can I say - first time obedience trainer : )

Kathie

BrittBeah said...

I love watching her trying to work out what you want.
So what did you settle on for treats that go in your mouth?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Kathie, glad the videos are helpful. If you are ever in GA, you must take a lesson with Kathryn Willis! I just wanted to FYI that the left turn video clip is a "doodle exercise". My footwork in that exercise is nothing like I would do in a ring.

Britt, I am using string cheese or Tyson grilled chicken strips in my mouth :-).

Jen