Saturday, April 25, 2009

Impulsive

Riley's off leash control was also tested at the farm. Unlike Reagan, Riley is extremely impulsive. Although Riley is unlikely to be frightened by a loud noise, she has an extremely sensitive prey drive and does not hesitate to act on it. At one point, she even leaped in the air and grabbed a leaf hanging from a low tree branch.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE prey drive, but at some point I do prefer food drive to be the primary ruler. I am quite used to dealing with the visual stimulation around greyhounds, but paired with Riley's nose and you have a hunting machine on your hands.
Sunday started with a 30 minute walk around my sister's neighborhood. I figured I better walk the dogs while I can with the threat of rain on the way. When we arrived at the farm, I then played fetch with Riley until I felt a sufficient amount of energy had been drained.

Even after a 30 minute walk and a long fetch session, she eagerly demonstrated that her motto is act now and think later.

At one point we saw some crows 100 yards ahead and she took off like a shot. It is amazing to see how far a greyhound can get in such a short time. We then headed for a wooded area that must have had lots of animal smells because Riley went into frenzy hunting mode.
Riley came every time I called, but I am careful to only call when I am sure I will succeed or I can enforce it. There were several times when I'm sure all recalls would have fallen on deaf Riley ears.

Lots of work to do.

4 comments:

BrittBeah said...

Happy training!

Cool Coty said...

Hmmm - Act Now, Think Later - sounds familiar. Like Riley, I'm working on switchng the order !

Lorena said...

How do you know when the recall is going to be acted upon by the dog? I'm also working on the recalls and my dog is great with limited distractions. Dog park? There they fall on deaf ears at least half the time.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Lorena, that is one thing I am not sure how to teach. I just know it in my gut. With recalls, I want my guys to just think of it as "come get a cookie, I just want to touch your collar". I don't want them to think it ends the fun... just a short interuption. I do a lot of work on long lines. That helps determine what kind of response I have and the line lets me correct it if need be. Later when they are not on a line, I make sure I'm close by when I test it out... again so I can correct the situation if ignored. All in all, I don't call unless I'm sure it will work or I am willing to run them down and correct the situation. I do not ever tolerate being ignored.

Jen