Monday, February 2, 2009

Beautiful Weekend


Wow, what a beautiful weekend and my camera was in a good mood (I probably just lucked out with correct settings)! Great weather for taking some action pictures. Above - My sister, Denise, riding her horse, Lester, with her greyhound, Peanut, not far behind.



The hounds and I traveled down to Newnan Georgia to visit with my sister, eat pizza, watch movies, and enjoy 60 safely fenced acres. Above - Reagan pouncing on a toy. Below - Katie says throw it again!
So I did!


The farm has one 12 acre section fenced. It provides an excellent opportunity to practice, proof, and reinforce recalls. Everyone did great this weekend.

Although, Riley continues to show her independent side and thinks nothing of going off on her own. She was better at checking in with me though. It is interesting to observe their tendencies in a huge, safe enclosure without the fear of losing one.


Reagan, especially, loves to run around and thoroughly enjoys the freedom, but she is very good with checking in. Even when she is led astray by Riley and takes off after her, Reagan quickly returns to check in with me.


I'm starting to notice that Riley can be a bully. Several times, I noticed her running Reagan down and about to chomp on an ear. So she wears a muzzle if she is running with others now. Below - Reagan looks about ready to mule kick Riley. :-)



We can't wait to do it again!

15 comments:

gyeong said...

Nice pics. I'd love to have that much fenced land to let the kids run. Really let them stretch their legs.

BrittBeah said...

Looks like greyt fun. Must be nice to enjoy your horse with your grey. Hope you enjoyed your time away from the blog. More importantly I hope you are happy to be back! Missed ya!!!

Maria Peters said...

Great pics! Looks like you guys had fun!

Stephen said...

Sometimes you need a good mule kick to straighten things out. Too bad she missed...

xracermom said...

Missed your posts last week. You made up for being gone with these great photos--Oh to be yound and so athletic!

Scott said...

I love the mule kick picture :)

Zan said...

Looks like you had a great weekend. Great pics. I love the mule kick shot too!!

greytblackdog said...

I waited until today to look at the pics b/c I was so bummed I missed it. The weather was so much better than the last time we got together. I'm sad :(

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

It was a fun weekend! Thanks for taking pics of us and video.
You did get some nice shots of your doggies!

Happy Birfday!

IHateToast said...

perfect pounce. that's my favourite photo. i hear a wheee, which is much better than the hoo horton heard.

Anonymous said...

Been lurking for a while but never posted before. I've got a bully greyhound too who chases down certain other dogs and nips. Do you have any tips to train bullys not to be bullys anymore? Thanks!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Unfortunately, its hard to stop a bully especially if it is a greyhound running at full speed. Your best bet would probably be a remote citronella collar. You can activate the collar to spritz the bully in the face using a remote control.

Otherwise, try to tire out the bully beforehand and a muzzle... that's my plan with Riley.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your advice, Jennifer! I really appreciate it! I've been working with my dog for a year now. Often he's great, but with certain kinds of dogs he's unpredictable.

Please can I ask another question? I remember Travis was not good with other dogs in the beginning. I think I read in your blog that one day, he suddenly just gave it up. After that he was good with other dogs. How long was it until Travis decided to reform himself?

I'll keep working. I'm hoping that - in addition to all the work - one day my dog will finally get it and decide to reform himself :).

Thanks again for your excellent website and blog! I really enjoy it! :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Keep in mind that there is a difference in being a bully and being high prey. Travis would grab another dog just because it did not resemble a greyhound (fat, hairy, and/or small). Travis did finally let go of the urge to grab others after probably a very long year. In that year, I trained him a lot. We attended obedience classes almost every night just to have him around other dogs. He got tons of exercise. He was always a retriever, but he fell in love with his bumper and I think that carrying it in his mouth helped him curb the urge to put another dog in his mouth. With the obedience, agility, and dock jumping, I think he finally had something better to do and he channeled all of his energy into it. The more effort you can put into it the better. It was definitely well worth it with Travis.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jennifer!