Sunday, September 21, 2008

What to Call the Beast

OK, so if I keep this brindle beast, I need a name. I still want to test her for storm phobia, but I need her to settle down a little. Its hard to judge her reaction when she's busy checking out the room and panting, so I'll wait till a little while longer. I also need to make sure she can handle work days. I have never had a healthy greyhound or guest that couldn't handle a 10-hour day, but it is always good to make sure before subjecting the dog to a lifetime of the long day schedule.









I like some of the suggestions I have heard so far, but none really seem to fit her. I'm hoping eventually one just jumps out at me, but if not, I will force one on her. Again, she is a wild tomboy. Horrible manners. She has pretty markings, but she's not really that pretty in any sort of feminine way. She sometimes makes snorting pig noises :-). 1 or 2 syllables is preferred. I have to admit that I did like the name Palin, but it sounds too much like Reagan and one political dog at a time is probably enough. Sarah sounds too sweet. I like the thought of a boy's name that is sometimes used as a girl's name. But I also like to be funny or descriptive if it fits. It does not have to be a typical human name. She is a trouble maker and full of mischief. Reagan is so petite and feminine.... Bob's Tilly is just the opposite. Bob's Tilly would drink beer and drive a truck.






9 comments:

Pam said...

What about Dara (as in Torres)?
A woman with a long, successful athletic career!

Gerry said...

Ronnie or Gipper or Calamity Jane or Charley Parkhurst or Etta Place (partner of Butch Cassidy and Sundance) or how about one of the women who fought for our right to vote?

Cynthia said...

Never Wear a Dress / Tommi (aka Tomboy)?

---Cindy

KF-in-Georgia said...

How about Bobbie (from her first name)? (Sientay suggested this one, too.) Or she could be Tiger--from her brindle striping (although she's not quite the right coloring for a tiger--but there's the fighting (to win)-tiger-like comparison). Or Tony/Toni (from Tony the Tiger).

Maria Peters said...

Geena, Judy, Olga, Maxine, Jill, Jocelyn, Janet, Glenda, Paula, Mica, Dixie....I don't think these are workin...stay tuned!

Sientay L said...

Cassidy, Casey, Maxie (I knew a guy in high school named Maxie. Very cute and nice. I wonder if he still goes by Maxie).

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I appreciate all the name ideas... both on the blog and privately sent. Keep them coming. I like and am considering some of them. Others are names of relatives, friends' dogs, or dog haters I know :-). Some rhyme with verbal cues I use. I have never had this much of a problem.

Jen

Zan said...

I'm terrible with names. Way too many things to consider. How about Liza, Leah, or Wylie(as in coyote)

greytblackdog said...

I vote for Vegas! she's a flashy one that girl!!!! I love her markings. I love her spunk. I love cynthia's idea of never wear a dress!