Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tortured

I'm starting to feel really tortured by this roller coaster. I can accept whatever comes, but please stop teasing me. The weight loss was a downer, my vet's exam comments were an upper, skipping a meal was a downer, eating good again and overall seemed to have more energy and personality last night was an upper, and then this morning he vomitted breakfast. The last time this happened, it was the day he went for his ultra sound and he was supposedly jaundice. So needless to day I am starting to fear the worst. Supposedly, the bilirubin in the blood causes one to feel sick to his stomach and its what turns the skin yellow. This happened on Stephen's watch so I haven't looked at his color yet, so maybe I am just assuming the worst. If this is what is happening again, I won't put him back on fluids. It took too much time from him (3 days in the hospital) to buy about a week with us and it wasn't exactly a fun week for any of us. Sitting home all day isn't what Travis is about. And to add more insult to injury, I think I have an infection on my eyelid and I just don't have myself together enough to sit with my thoughts in a waiting room. I am barely functioning at work. So this is my complaint for the day.

11 comments:

Sarah Regan Snavely said...

Having a sick dog is stressful - even if one tries to be "up" and not let the dog see/feel it. I know what you are going through... sometimes I wonder if all the vet tests are ever actually helpful.

I've got a 12+ year old who isn't eating, but coughing. He eats sometimes, but not consistently. Just when I think we are getting somewhere, back down the hope meter goes. So hard to be on the roller coaster when all you want is the best for them (and for them not to be in pain...)

Maria said...

You certainly have been on a rollercoaster....through the mill...hung by your toes...(or is it hanged?) Sounds like your body is saying it too, your eyelid infection.

Sending thoughts of peaceful times and healthy times to you and your pack.

greytblackdog said...

I have always loved this quote and try to approach every interaction with all of my animals with this in mind:

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as real strength."

-Ralph W. Sockman

Hugs to you, travis, katie, and stephen.

Sientay L said...

Take care of yourself, girlie.
Sending lots of hugs and jingles to everyone.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. What goes down, must come up... well, he looks fine at lunch time. So far lunch has stayed down (lets hope it doesn't come up). Getting my eye looked at around 3 PM.

Jen

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Real stress is so bad for the body, I got my first leg infection when I was in Auburn waiting out Lester's ordeal :-(

more hugs and jingles~

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Denise, I think you are so right. Back when I had a fun time fighting MRSA infections, I was so stressed at work and had the meanest, aggressive, jerk boss ever. I probably haven't been that stressed until now. I've been eating bad or not at all also, but I did manage to force down a salad at work today. Thank goodness for the nice, inexpensive salad bar.

Jen

Zan said...

Jen

I know Travis' illness is stressful and understand the roller coaster ride completely. It takes over your life and you're not able to think of anything else. Take care of yourself.

Sending thoughts of strength to Travis (and you, Stephen, and the rest of you pack too!)

christie said...

I don't know how you do it girl, I'm in awe of your strength! Hang in there and remember to take care of yourself.

Hugs to you and your hounds.
Christie

KF-in-Georgia said...

Sorry you had this kind of day.

Something to try to remember going forward: The down-swoop of the roller coaster this time wasn't as far down as the last time. Travis's "bad days" aren't so bad--and they don't last so long, and they don't seem to be coming one on top of the other.

On the practical side: Could Travis be having stomach trouble because of the antibiotics? Lord knows, they've never settled well in my stomach... And I've just half-remembered something I read once: Aren't there some antibiotics that don't go well with dairy products? As in "may cause stomach distress" and "may not work as well if taken with dairy products". (I used to get sinus infections every year.)

Sorry about your eye--but glad you got in to see the doctor quickly. (I've already read the next post.) At least you know where your problems are coming from.

IHateToast said...

thinking of you and travis.