Saturday, July 26, 2008

Time To Go


June 8, 1998 - July 26, 2008

Stephen and I let our beloved Travis go tonight. Animals are so good at hiding how bad they feel. Travis was no different and kept his game face until the end. Its so hard when they still look at you with those beautiful eyes and perky ears. But we knew Travis was feeling very ill when he lost interest in eating. He LOVED food and we knew that it would be time when he no longer looked forward to meals. With little energy to participate in the activities he loved, we felt that his quality of life had diminished significantly already and meal enjoyment was just the final straw.

It has been a painful month of grieving for me. Maybe it helped to have Travis here for the process. There is a big sense of relief and peace now. I always said I could not imagine Travis growing old. Being so beautiful and youthful, I never wanted to see him become arthritic or suffer from a long, drawn out illness. He lived hard, played hard, and now he is done. Although this month has felt like a year, it really was just one bad month out of 6.6 fantastic years with the most amazing greyhound. He and I were the most perfect match. In those 6 years, he got to do so much..... hiking, swimming, dock jumping, obedience, tracking, and most of all... agility. He had a great life and he added a lot of greatness to mine.

Travis insisted on never being left behind. Even today he wanted to go on one of our usual outings, but did not have the energy once we arrived. Tomorrow morning we will take our greyhounds for a hike. I am sure Travis will be right there with us again..... with health, strength, and energy restored.

Please remember Travis like this. This clip is from early May.

21 comments:

Todd said...

Jen and Stephen,
I'm sorry to hear about Travis. It's the hardest thing to realize the time to let them go. Take care of yourselves and remember the great times you had with Travis

Cynthia said...

Jen,
I'm so sorry to hear this. You and Travis had a fabulous time together. Keep him alive in memory by remembering him with a smile every time you do agility.

Best wishes,
Cindy

Sarah Regan Snavely said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

brittbeah said...

I was boo- hooing for you the entire time I read your post. I am so sorry.
He will always be with you and his wonderful story will be alive on your blog that you have so graciously shared with us all. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

J.P., I loved the film clip you just put up of Travis from a couple of months ago. That is the Travis I will always remember. So vibrant and always eager to please you, his perfect partner. Could any other team have squeezed so much life into 6 years? Hopefully the thousand memories you built together will help you through these sad days. L, M

Sientay L said...

We're so sorry for your loss. Travis had a wonderful life with you. I will always remember him as the greyhound who loved his orange bumper.

Love and hugs to you all,
Sientay and Paul

greytblackdog said...

Jen and Stephen,

I'm so sorry to hear about Travis. I hope that time will heal your broken hearts and you find a way to stay focused on all the wonderful memories you had together. He gave you a lot to be proud of and taught you a lot about yourselves along the way. Take care of yourselves. Hugs.

saramurphy100 said...

Jen, I'm sorry to hear about Travis. I fell for him the moment I saw him. He smiled!
I really enjoyed watching him, these last few months.( I only knew of him since March) Sad I never got to see him in person. I was hoping to.
He was a happy dog, with a wonderful life,thank you for sharing him with us!
Take Care,
Sharon

saramurphy100 said...

Jen, I'm sorry to hear about Travis. I fell for him the moment I saw him. He smiled!
I really enjoyed watching him, these last few months.( I only knew of him since March) Sad I never got to see him in person. I was hoping to.
He was a happy dog, with a wonderful life,thank you for sharing him with us!
Take Care,
Sharon

Maria said...

An amazing animal has departed this earth...but never our hearts. May those around you give you comfort and solace, and the memories of your beloved boy wrap your heart.

Patti said...

Jen, I am so so sorry to hear about Travis. You definitely gave him a loving, fulfilled, and wonderful life and he returned that love by being such an extraordinary Greyhound. He was such a joy to watch in the agility ring as well. And what a great ambassador to the Greyhound breed for that sport. He showed others that Greyhounds can excel at agility and it's obvious he loved performing. No doubt your excellent patience and training helped him along the way. Godspeed Travis, we'll all miss you!

Jeanna said...

Jen,

You seemed a little "off" yesterday in training class but I had no idea this was why. I am so sorry. I will keep you in my thoughts hoping you'll find peace during this difficult time. Your tribute to Travis was just beautiful and he would have been so happy to know mama was so proud of him. Goodspeed Jen.

Pam said...

Our dear Travis/Jigmo is gone...

Jen, Travis was 100% yours. But, you know Jigmo was always a little bit mine. I loved him and have always been SO grateful that you gave him such a wonderful life. "Never Expected" was SUCH the perfect name for that boy!!!

It's been wonderful fun, watching the ride the two of you had together! What a team you were!!!

My heart breaks for you, my friend.

Zan said...

Jen,

I'm so very sorry. Travis was certainly a special dog. May your wonderful memories of the last 6 years with him soon overshadow the last month of pain. I know Travis enjoyed your hike today whole and well.

Bethanie & Chris said...

He is running in the wind now.

christie said...

Jen, I am so sorry for your loss.
Godspeed Travis!

Christie, Gemini and Heater

KF-in-Georgia said...

Jen and Stephen,
I'm so sorry, but he's running free and wild now.
Love from all of us,
Kathy, Sam & Jacey-Kasey

IHateToast said...

i'm sorry. the clip was wonderful. i started to follow your blog at the beginning of travis's ailments. it was nice to see him so active. and he's no zoolander! he turned left like a pro.

it's obvious you gave him a wonderful life. take care.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone. Its nice to hear all the kind words and know that everyone has been thinking about Travis.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I am sorry to hear about Travis. I know how hard it is to let them go. I imagine that Travis is teaching the other pups that have gone before him what he learned here with you.

Run free and healthy Travis

Best Wishes,
Carrie and Lexi

thebellagreyhound said...

Jen and Stephen, I am so sorry for your loss. I know that Travis will live on forever in your hearts. He was special and I know that everday he will be remembered with a smile.