Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Swimming Lessons












We took the greyhounds to the lake yesterday to swim. So far, Reagan does not show the natural swimming ability that Travis does. Or maybe she is just a little more grounded than he is. I remember when I was starting to throw the bumper in the lake just far enough to see if Travis would swim. He would sometimes go under water and he swam very awkwardly. Not much has changed, but at least now I know he can old his breath and he will surface soon. Occasionally there would be a tense moment for the humans on the shore, but Travis was never scared or deterred. He was always game. Reagan seems to prefer the feel of land under her feet.














Katie has always enjoyed cooling off in the water, but doesn't have any desire to swim for a toy. However, Katie would sell her soul for a cookie and she would swim to the far side of the world for one too. I like to swim her along the side the dock..... feeding her treats, of course. I thought that Reagan might follow suit with Katie leading the way, but she was not willing to go any deeper than chest level. That's ok, I have another idea to try. She doesn't have to be a dock jumper like Travis, but I would love for her to swim along the dock like Katie does.

6 comments:

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I remember our days of swimming lessons:-x Maybe if you pulled Reagn all the way far from the shore and then "throw" her in the direction you want her to swim in...maybe she would learn to love it.
You should have taken Gigi to be your next dock diving greyhound:-)

greytblackdog said...

maybe you guys had the same swimming teacher i had! take you to the deep end and then just make you swim back to where you can touch! Does Travis compete in Dock Diving too? What does this dog NOT do? He is SuperGrey!

Jen said...

What great swimmers your dogs are! My guys wade (will go up to their chests)... thats it. Enough to keep them cool, I guess!

Jen

Sientay L said...

I love watching Travis swim. No fear. Katie's swimming reminds me of Dino at water therapy: swim for treats but not as easily as Katie does it.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Denise, I remember those swimming lessons too. I'll probably be a little easier on Reagan.

Heather, our teacher would pull us back from the side of the pool and make us swim to the side. We have home movies of us half drowning. :-).

Travis does not herd sheep :-). Yes, Travis has competed in dock jumping twice and earned a Junior Jumper title (JJ). He's not a huge jumper... I think 14 feet was his best. Check out April 24 2007 post, there is a picture.

Jen

Zan said...

Jen- You'll have Regan swimming like a fish in no time:-)! My two greys will go wading and enjoy splashing around but thats about it. Rosie, the pharaoh hound, thinks water is really battery acid and she'll melt if she touches it. I love your blog.